The Gordon Engineering Leadership (GEL) Program at MIT invites applicants to deliver two graduate academic classes - “Leading Creative Teams” and “Negotiation and Influence Skills for Technical Leaders” during the fall and spring semesters. These courses target doctoral and master’s engineering students but also includes students from science, business, and other MIT graduate programs. Course delivery involves interacting with students in teaching, assessing, grading, coaching, and advising, and involvement in planning and delivering non-academic graduate workshops throughout the fall and spring semesters and during the Independent Activities Period each January. This position will work with GEL staff and course teaching assistants on planning, updating, and assessing the courses and student experiences; and teach during the program’s Professional Education class (“Engineering Leadership for Emerging Leaders”) offered each summer. Teaching assignments will include the aforementioned activities and possibly future new graduate engineering classes/workshops. Will teach at least one section of one or two different classes per semester.
The Bernard M. Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership (GEL) Program aims to develop next-generation technical leaders with the values, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and address engineering problems. Our approach is highly interactive, blending theory, practice, and various forms of experiential learning. The GEL program serves undergraduate students.
Established in 2016, the Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership (GradEL) builds on the 12 years of success of the GEL program to serve MIT graduate students in the School of Engineering and across campus. Graduate students are MIT’s largest student body and central to the Institute’s research mission. The MIT School of Engineering continues to rank as the nation and world’s top engineering school, focused on preparing graduates to address today’s most pressing challenges.
With roughly 25% of graduate engineering students advancing into academic roles, this leaves 75% of the school’s graduate students pursuing careers in industry and elsewhere. Our GradEL program prepares graduate students for these transitions. It provides learning opportunities for graduate students to identify and develop their strengths as a leader, and to practice and hone the necessary professional skills in communication, negotiation, and teamwork before they begin careers. GradEL offers graduate academic classes and individual workshops throughout the academic year, which can lead to satisfying requirements for our Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership.
Master’s degree and subject matter expertise in topical areas that align directly with the course topic, including teamwork, communications, negotiation, execution of projects in research and development, and organizational and personal development
Experience applying this expertise to teaching in graduate-level engineering courses or to engineers in industry
Competency designing and delivering hands-on learning experiences, both in in-person and virtual (online) environment as GEL graduate courses place heavy emphasis on experiential learning
Desire to work constructively with all facets of the program; and ability to coach students with highly interdisciplinary interests.
At least four years’ relevant teaching experience, experience as an engineering leadership practitioner, and experience developing a new graduate-level curriculum or growing academic programs.
The ideal start date for this appointment is no later than July 1, 2021. The appointment is for one year and renewable for a second if mutually agreeable. Further renewal of the position after the initial appointment period will depend on the teaching evaluations and feedback from peers in the MIT Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership (GradEL), and funding.
Interested candidates may apply on-line at https://hr.mit.edu/careers. Please reference job number 19272.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. MIT’s full policy on nondiscrimination can be found at https://policies.mit.edu/policies-procedures/90-relations-and-responsibilities-within-mit-community/92-nondiscrimination.